- Living things and habitats: Recognise that living things can be grouped in a variety of ways.
- Animals, including humans: describe the basic functions of the digestive system and identify different types of teeth.
- States of matter: Identify solids, liquids and gases; identify the role of evaporation and condensation in the water cycle.
- Sound: understand how sounds are made; recognise that vibrations from sounds travel to the ear.
- Electricity: construct circuits.
- Pre 1066: Viking raids.
- Ancient Egypt: Pupils will investigate life in Ancient Egypt and the significance of the river Nile. During their study of Africa, pupils will learn about Ancient Benin.
- Locate world’s countries, focusing on Africa.
- Identify the position and significance of the lines of latitude and longitude, the Arctic and the Antarctic circle.
- Understand geographical similarities and differences through the study of human and physical geography of an area of the UK and a region in an African country.
- Describe and understand: climate, rivers, mountains, volcanoes, earthquakes, water cycle, settlements, and trade links.
- Use eight points of compass, symbols and keys.
- Use fieldwork to observe, measure and record.
- Use running, jumping, catching and throwing in isolation and in combination.
- Play competitive games.
- Develop flexibility and control in gym, dance and athletics.
- Compare performances to achieve personal bests.
- Year 4 will develop these skills through gymnastic, dance, games and athletics.
- Listen and engage.
- Ask and answer questions.
- Speak in sentences using familiar vocabulary.
- Develop appropriate pronunciation.
- Show understanding of words and phrases.
- Appreciate stories, songs, poems and rhymes.
- Broaden vocabulary.
- Develop positive learning behaviours.
- Understand how to lead a healthy and safe lifestyle.
- Build aspirations for a successful future.
- Understand how to make a positive contribution to society.
- Understand the world around me.
- Develop positive relationships with those around me.
- Use voice and instruments with increasing accuracy, control and expression.
- Improvise and compose music.
- Listen with attention to detail.
- Appreciate a wide range of live and recorded music.
- Begin to develop an understanding of music history.
- Understand the importance of religious texts and know the key festivals for: Christianity, Islam and Buddhism.
Art and Design
- Use sketchbooks to collect, record and evaluate ideas.
- Collect information, sketches and resources.
- Improve mastery of techniques such as drawing, painting and sculpture with varied materials.
- Improve mastery of textiles and digital media skills.
- Replicate some of the techniques used by notable artists, artisans and designers. Create original pieces that are influenced by studies of others.
- Design and write programs to achieve specific goals, including solving problems.
- Use logical reasoning.
- Understand computer networks.
- Use internet safely and appropriately.
- Collect and present data appropriately.
Design and Technology
- Use research to generate, develop and communicate ideas.
- Select from a wide range of tools to perform practical tasks accurately.
- Evaluate products against their own design and consider views of others to aid improvements.
- Understand and use mechanical systems in their products.
- Know the procurement process of ingredients.