Project 1: Illustration & comic book project
Watch this brilliant ‘how-to’ video, by Jarrett J. Krosoczka:
He discusses how to sketch and form a character, and in the beginning he shares some his own work from back when he was a child.
Well, I’d like YOU to have a go at doing just that! Please note, the below ‘steps’ are not all to be completed at once, this is a project and should take a number of days to perfect:
- Begin sketching a variety of ‘characters’. At first, as JJK states, it should just be a ‘shape’, and then it will slowly evolve into a character. Note the way he sketches – not using thick, blunt lines and not being overly accurate at first.
- Start to assign names and ‘profiles’ for your characters
- Set out a ‘comic strip style design’, preferably hand-drawn with a ruler, on plain paper. Alternatively you can use the attached comic strip templates.
- Before beginning your comic strip, plan a story: Who are your main characters? What is going to happen? Are they brave or cowardly? etc…
- Sketch and begin your first draft of your comic strip!
Please send any work to share along the way, particularly your sketching skills, characters, and of course, final comic strips