Learning Journey: Roman Britain
In Science we will:
- Learn about Rocks
- Compare and group together different kinds of rocks on the basis of their appearance and simple physical properties
- Describe in simple terms how fossils are formed when things that have lived are trapped within rock
- Recognise that soils are made from rocks and organic matter
In History we will
- Develop chronological knowledge of British history
- Understand how Britain has been influenced by the rest of the world
We will ask:
- Was life better for the English before or after the Romans conquered?
- Why did the Romans want to conquer Britain?
- Why were Claudius' invasions successful when previous attempts were not?
- What sources can we trust when gathering information?
In Geography we will:
- ask 'How did the Thames help the City of London to grow? (trade links into Europe)
- ask 'How is a volcano made?'
- ask 'How and when does magma become lava?'
- ask 'What happened when Mount Vesuvius erupted?
In Music we will:
- Identify tempi - speeds of music
- Effects of sound - What is texture?
- Identify rhythmic patterns
In RE we will:
- What is the significance of light in religions
In Art we will:
- Focus on drawing and sculpture: Artist focus: Auguste Rodin
- Drawing skills: Use tone, light and shade to make things appear 3D, develop use of hatching and cross hatching to show tone and texture
- Sculpture: Begin investigating techniques when working with clay
- Outcome: Clay sculpture of a human form inspired by Rodin's "The Thinker"
In DT we will:
- Investigate the nutritional properties of a potato
- Find out where they come from
- Design and and make a healthy meal that uses potatoes
In PSHCE we will:
- Learn how to deal with feelings and cope with pressure.
- Learn to be healthy and safe - How bacteria and viruses can affect health and how to help prevent them spreading.
- Learn about accidents and prevention - Outdoor places and how to behave responsibly.